Thursday, February 01, 2007

Nothing is missing...

That title was a rough English translation of the first line of what is possibly the most wonderful song of all times in South Indian Classical music history...."Kurai Ondrum Illai". To me this is a personal favourite because of three reasons. It was written by the most respected freedom fighter in my eyes, Rajaji. It was sung by the most admirable woman in my eyes, MS Subbulakshmi. The third reason is that I first heard it sung by a cousin of mine a few days after his mother had died. The impossibility of saying "There is nothing missing" when there was something so obviously missing from his life struck me even at the age of 14.
The simplicity of this song, it's composition, it's meaning and the unassuming way of life of the people involved in this song makes it beautiful for me. (Isn't it ironical that it was first sung at the United Nations where so much is missing today? ) That is why I cannot hear it sung by anyone else. It simply doesn't fit. Its amazing how it can appeal to me even though I cannot bring myself to believe in anything "super-powerful". The only thing that is super-powerful to me is such inspired pieces of work that can touch people's lives years after being created.

My favorite lines from this song: "Ethum thara nirkum karunai kadal annai
endrum irundida edu kurai enakku".

Translation: (Refers to the goddess as 'mother') When she, an ocean of mercy, is there always to give me anything, what could be missing from my life?

I can only think of my mom for these lines. What can be missing from a day that began with this song ?

2 Comments:

At 11:56 PM , Blogger Karthik said...

it is a wonderful piece of post!

 
At 12:17 AM , Blogger Karthik said...

Hi

I just happened to see your profile in the orkut through Tamilians in USA community

i am clueless about "Is this the JK of the shanmukapriya fame? "

nice knowing you.

Karthik

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home