Monday, December 11, 2006

Umrao-No-Jaan

I watched a few scenes from the recent re-make of Umrao Jaan with Aishwarya Rai and Abhishek Bachhan. What the *&^*^*&(? where they trying to do? I came away with the taste of having watched a somewhat classy film-school movie whose plot went nowhere and the dancing and acting was utterly lifeless. And let's not even get started on the songs. Anu Malik versus Khayyam. The only other comparison can be "Manichithrathazhu" and "Chandramukhi". Same problem. The new versions just don't cut it.

But getting back to the key ingredient that was missing from Umrao Jaan. The Jaan part. I have never seen someone who can dance so well and yet appear totally devoid of grace. How does she manage it? I am a big fan of dance in general and I think Ash is awesome when it comes to the correctness of movements, etc. However what she danced here - it looked neither like Kathak nor like Bollywood wiggle. (To get an idea of how true Kathak is performed refer to "Kaahe Chhede" from Devdas by the ever-enticing Madhuri Dixit). To her credit though, much of the lack of novelty is on part of the choreography. I don't know why choreographers assume that if you put enough twirls in the dance then it can pass off as good Kathak. I didn't expect this from Vaibhavi Merchant. To shake off this effect I must promptly get a copy of the Umrao-Rekha and watch her dance - in intricate, almost tiny movements...where she moves her fingertips and her eyebrows and it feels like the God of sensuality just fell on the ground in fine little dewdrops. The only thing that I can feel glad about is the fact that mediocre or not, classical dance and music is at least making its way back into mainstream Indian cinema which is a refreshing change from the norm.

As for the chemistry (or lack thereof of the same) between Ash and Abhishek - its so pathetic that Abhishek could have been replaced by Narasimha Rao and he would have shown more facial expressions.

Anyways...some day I will shake the dust off my heels and make Rekha proud. Hee Hee. Until then no more griping... :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home